Typical Electrical Problems Around the Home
Prolectric Electrical Service is a certified contractor with over 30 years of experience in solving residential electrical problems and helping homeowners have a modern and safe wiring network.
When electricity is no longer a source of comfort, warmth, and access to smart devices, but a series of mishaps, electrical contractors are ready to step in and solve your electrical problems. However, many homeowners are unaware that their “cranky” home wiring needs attention.
Troubleshooting electrical problems should be your priority from the first moment you identify abnormal behavior in any part of the electrical network, from the panel down to the last power outlet and light switch.
COMMON ELECTRICAL ISSUES
You almost certainly have encountered at least some of the following issues, especially if you have old electrical wiring. You may have already used Google to search “how to fix a power surge” or “high electric bill troubleshooting”. In this article, we will present a comprehensive list of common home electrical problems and what you need to do to fix them.
Frequent Electrical Surges
An electrical surge occurs when there is a massive increase of the charge inside the power lines. This is one of the most frequent electrical problems because it has many causes, such as lightning or even errors made by your electric company. However, surges may be caused by old electrical wiring or faulty appliances, as well.
And what is the most common problem associated with power surges? Your expensive home equipment, from the large screen TV to the computer you use for work can be damaged beyond repair after repeated surges. To fix this issue, you have to install a surge protector on your electrical wiring. If the home electrical problems persist afterward, it is time to call a certified electrician.
Sags and Dips in Power
Sags and dips in power appear to be similar to power surges, but their cause is fully related to your old home wiring and/or faulty appliances.
This means that the device will always draw more power from the outlet than it needs. Alternatively, when your power grid is old or underrated, your appliances will receive more power than they can handle when you turn them on.
If you are certain that your home appliances and devices are not responsible for this issue, then you probably need to replace the old and damaged power controlling device.
Light Switches Not Working Properly
This is one of the most overlooked home electrical problems. You try to turn on the light and nothing happens. You try a couple more times and then the light comes on. Likewise, your light dimmers don’t work the way they should and you try several times until you get it right.
In reality, none of these electrical issues should be ignored. The solution could be simple: your light switch is faulty and needs to be replaced. But the problem can also be caused by bad wiring. A licensed electrician will identify the issue and solve it in no time.
Circuit Breaker Tripping Frequently
Many electrical warning signs start with a tripped circuit breaker. This usually happens when you turn on large appliances, such as the A/C unit or the washing machine. And the root cause is old home wiring or an undersized panel that cannot handle the power consumption in your home.
The safest solution is to have your entire electrical wiring replaced with a new, modern one.
Circuit overload is one of the electrical problems caused by users who put convenience before safety. Power strips are convenient, offering you a multiple number of outlets. However, if you plug in the home stereo system, the TV set, the phone charger, and the laptop into the same power strip, you will overload one single circuit.
Try to connect devices to different wall outlets so that all circuits have an even load.
Getting an electrical shock is one of the most unpleasant (and dangerous) experiences. It usually happens when you try to turn a device on and off. In this case, the only safe recommendation is to refrain from touching the device again and to call an electrician immediately.
This is not one of the electrical issues you may ignore or attempt to troubleshoot by yourself. Even a mild electrical shock can be fatal to a person with a heart condition.
High Electric Bill
Are you worried about how much you pay for electricity? In this case, there are three things you should do for high electric bill troubleshooting. One is to look for a provider that offers you better rates. The second is to identify older devices, which use a lot of electricity, and replace them with modern ones. The third is to call an electrician to find out whether your old home wiring is leaking electricity.
Light Bulbs Burning Out Too Often
Light bulbs are by their nature consumable items. However, if you have to replace them very frequently, you may have a problem with the bulb holder or electrical system. If the holder you screw the bulb into looks fine and is not too tight or loose, then the problem may be high wattage – one of the home electrical problems that can also damage expensive appliances.
WHAT TO DO IF HOME ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS PERSIST?
If none of the solutions for troubleshooting electrical problems by yourself puts a stop to the problem you keep experiencing, you must call a licensed electrician. The dangers of faulty electrical wiring are beyond the damage to your brand new TV set or washing machine.
Left unsolved or ignored, these electrical warning signs may result in a fire or a fatal electrical shock.
At Prolectric Electrical Service, we know all about home electrical problems and how to solve them quickly and efficiently. We are the residential electrician you can trust, with over 30 years of experience serving residential clients in:
- Fort Collins
Call us now: (970) 222-4740!